Water main repair job under way
WORK has started on replacing a 290m section of water main along Brisbane St, between d'Arcy Doyle Place and Wharf St, and is expected to take until early June.
Investigative works in 2010 to determine the condition of the existing water main confirmed the need to replace it to provide greater reliability and a secure long-term water supply to Ipswich.
Queensland Urban Utilities (QUU), which is doing the work, said that to minimise the impact on businesses and people, work would be done in stages and major construction works would take place between 8.30pm and 4.30am Monday to Friday.
The six stages are:
- Bell and Brisbane Sts intersection
- Bell St to Ipswich City Mall
- Wharf and Brisbane Sts intersection;
- Micro-tunnelling section (including East St intersection);
- The remaining section between East and Bell Sts; and
- The remaining section between East and Wharf Sts.
- The project team will use a section of vacant land on Wharf St as a lay-down area during the project.
- This area will have security fencing and will be used to store materials and machinery.
Changes to traffic conditions will include reduced speed limits, temporary lane closures at night and some parking spaces being unavailable.
Pedestrian access will be available along both sides of Brisbane St and parking areas on the right (southern) side of Brisbane St will not be affected.
QUU said that because construction work would be done at night, there would be minimal noise and dust disturbance to nearby businesses.
Towards the end of the project there will be works to connect the new water main to existing water mains so there may be reduced water pressure or temporary water shutdowns for some businesses in the area.
However, these connection works will take place at night to minimise disruption and affected businesses will receive notification.
QUU said directly affected businesses were visited by members of the project team to provide an update on the project.
For more information go to urbanutilities.com.au or call QUU on 13 26 57 or the Ipswich City Council call centre (3810 6666).