Mother thanks neighbours for helping save children from fire
ANNA Smith, who was in the house at the time, said she was still in shock after fire destroyed her home.
Two of her children are at Mackay Base Hospital under observation.
"I said get out and (one) girl was at her bedroom and he (11-year-old boy) went his bedroom."
Ms Smith said that was when the neighbour arrived to assist.
"He asked if there was anyone left, and I said there were two left, one in each bedroom and he ran down to them," she said.
"I just want to say a huge thank you to all my neighbours who helped out."
Ms Smith said prior to the fire the neighbour who came to the rescue was friendly but not well known to her family.
QAS Acting senior operations supervisor Mackay Local Ross Vickers said all occupants of the house were out when emergency services arrived.
"That gentleman was transported to hospital for some smoke inhalation complications, but nothing serious," Mr Vickers said.
Audio of Ross Vickers:
Two children who remained in the house were transported as well, he said.
The Oysterlee St house was 'full of black smoke' when QFES crews arrived on scene of a house fire this morning.
All persons were accounted for a QFES spokesman said, but a QAS spokesman said two people had to be transported to Mackay Base Hospital for 'further assessment'.
Paramedics attended house fire Oysterlee St #Beaconsfield about 5.54am. 7 people assessed, 2 ppl taken to Mackay Hosp for further assessment— Queensland Ambulance (@QldAmbulance) July 22, 2015
The QFES spokesman said they received the call at 5.53am.
He said the fire was in the lounge area of the single-storey structure.
The fire is out and crews are ventilating the house.
OTHER STORIES MAKING NEWS IN THE REGION: