Two Mackay hotels named in top 25 for Asia Pacific
Two popular beachside holiday destinations in Mackay have been recognised in the top 25 best performers among the Choice Hotels group’s Asia-Pacific region.
Comfort Inn Blue Pacific, at Blacks Beach, and Econo Lodge Beachside, in Mackay, have taken out the group’s hotly contested 2020 Gold Award, which recognises great customer service and exceptional guest experiences at properties from Melbourne to Mackay and even through New Zealand.
Choice Hotels Asia-Pac CEO Trent Fraser said Comfort Inn Blue Pacific and Econo Lodge Beachside deserved recognition and celebration for continuing to deliver exceptional service, despite the pressures of the pandemic on the tourism sector.
“Congratulations to the teams at Comfort Inn Blue Pacific and Econo Lodge Beachside on this win, which I’m sure is a welcome way to start a great year as we seek to put the challenges of 2020 behind us,” he said.
“It is wonderful to recognise our top operators this year through our awards.
“These franchisees have applied great resilience and innovation to deliver outstanding service and create memorable experiences for their guests.
“We commend all of those within the Choice Hotels network who have overcome challenging odds over the past 12 months, and have shown great resilience and positivity towards the recovery effort.
“We hope the 2020 Gold Awards list inspires more Australians to get out, holiday, and explore our regions, supporting local economies and jobs that have been impacted by the pandemic.”
Comfort Resort Blue Pacific’s Nick Uit den Bogaard said he was chuffed to receive the award which came from customer feedback.
He said they had invested heavily in ensuring they cleaned every room well and then used an electrostatic fogging machine to desanitise it further.
“People are now looking for the security in where they are going, ensuring health and hygiene are second to none,” he said.
“We have gone over and above and the feedback on that has been really good. Obviously that’s reflected in winning this award.”
Mr Uit den Bogaard said Mackay had been trading strongly in the accommodation sector and his business was actually up in 2020 compared to 2019.
He said they returned to their traditional 500km radius drive market.
“It took a big dive in early part of 2020 but after it came back really strong for this region,” he said.
“We had lots of families; they were using the barbecues at the beach front, playing games at the beach.”
Econo Lodge Beachside manager Tina Shields said the venue had predominantly attracted corporate customers but the border closures meant they had many people travelling north to see the rest of Queensland.
She said a number of people talked about buying a caravan to travel Australia.
Ms Shields said the lodge had won five awards with Choice including twice winning Hotel of the Year.
The 2020 Gold Awards are measured on a ‘likelihood to recommend’ metric calculated on direct and verified customer feedback, combined with franchisee engagement in Choice Hotels AsiaPac programs and initiatives such as the Choice Privileges loyalty program, corporate social responsibility partnerships, and numerous marketing promotions throughout the year. The nominees are judged by a panel from the Choice Hotels Asia-Pac executive team.
Each property named as the ‘Hotel of the Year’ for their brand goes into the running for the Choice Hotels International Hotel of the Year awards, to be announced later in the year.
CHOICE 2020 HOTEL OF THE YEAR and GOLD AWARD WINNERS:
Ascend hotel collection
- Terminus Apartment Hotel (Newcastle), Ascend Hotel Collection NSW – Ascend Hotel of the Year 2020
- Breeze Mooloolaba, Ascend Hotel Collection Mooloolaba QLD
- Ingot Hotel Perth, Ascend Hotel Collection Perth WA
- Clarion Suites Gateway – Clarion Hotel of the Year 2020 Melbourne VIC
- Clarion Hotel Townsville QLD
- Quality Hotel Rules Club Wagga Wagga – Quality Hotel of the Year 2020
- Quality Hotel Wangaratta Gateway VIC
- Quality Inn Sunshine Haberfield NSW
- Quality Hotel Taylors Lakes VIC
- Quality Suites Ashburton NZ
- Quality Resort Siesta Albury NSW
- Quality Inn Carriage House Wagga Wagga NSW
- Quality Hotel City Centre Coffs Harbour NSW
- Comfort Inn on Main Hervey Bay – Comfort Hotel of the Year 2020
Hervey Bay QLD
- Comfort Inn May Park Horsham VIC
- Comfort Inn Western Warrnambool VIC
- Comfort Inn Coober Pedy Experience Coober Pedy SA
- Comfort Inn Deakin Palms Mildura VIC
• Comfort Inn Blue Pacific Mackay QLD
- Comfort Inn Grammar View Toowoomba QLD
- Comfort Inn Kauri Court Palmerston North NZ
- Econo Lodge Border Gateway Wodonga VIC – Econo Lodge Hotel of the Year
• Econo Lodge Beachside Mackay QLD
- Econo Lodge Alabaster Cowra NSW
- Econo Lodge Mildura Mildura VIC
Best new hotel 2020 winner
- CH Boutique Hotel, Ascend Hotel Collection Tamworth NSW
General manager of the year 2020 winner
- Mathew Hyde, Quality Hotel City Centre Coffs Harbour NSW
Mark Pearce rising star award winner
- Sarah Sharma, Castlereagh Boutique Hotel, Ascend Hotel Collection
Share your thoughts on this issue through a letter to the editor:
Share your story and photos with us: Daily Mercury