Tiger snake slithers into aircon while couple sleeps
A SNAKE warning has been sent out in Victoria after a couple was left terrified when they woke to see a dangerous tiger snake dangling in front of them.
The Little River couple saw the 75cm long snake hiding away in their bedroom airconditioner, with the snake's tail dangling below.
Professional snake catcher Stewart Gatt, also known as "Stewy the snake catcher", needed 30 minutes to safely remove the serpent.
Some of the ordeal was caught on camera.
Mr Gatt said the tiger snake's large size, often aggressive nature and toxic venom made it extremely dangerous to humans.
"It nearly got me a couple of times but I managed to wrestle it out safely in the end," Mr Gatt said.
The career catcher said the snake was most likely chasing mice in the roof when it found a cool spot to hide.
"My guess is the snake entered via a hole made in the external wall for the aircon plumbing to go through," he said.
As the heat starts to ramp up more snakes will be looking to escape and could end up inside homes, Mr Gatt said.
"To best protect yourself, ensure all pet doors are closed and any holes leading outside are covered up."
Airconditioners, unsealed garages, under doorways and unguarded windows were the most common way snakes entered homes, he said.
"A bit of weatherseal or rolled up towels should be enough to deter them from getting inside in most cases but if you do spot one inside, lock the room, do not approach it and call a professional."
Killing snakes is illegal in Victoria and those being removed must be released within a 5km radius of where they were caught.