UPDATE: Bargara shark attack victim 'was not bitten'


UPDATE: Queensland Ambulance Service Clinical Support Officer Sean Quarmby said the man who was reportedly attacked by a shark last night off Bargara was struck by the shark, but not bitten.

"At approximately 7pm last night QAS paramedics were called out to assist a male patient who had reportedly been attacked by a shark," Mr Quarmby said.

"On their arrival, they found the male patient, aged in his 30s, with non-life-threatening injuries.

"He sustained a laceration to his foot and some bruising to his abdomen and chest area."

He said the patient was reportedly struck by the shark, but was not bitten by the shark.

"(We're) unsure of what caused the laceration," he said.

When paramedics arrived to treat the man, he required only basic first aid and care and was transported to Bundaberg Hospital in a stable condition.

But despite the uncertainty over whether it was indeed a shark, Surf Life Saving Queensland's regional operations manager Craig Holden said it was a timely reminder for those hitting the beach to follow water safety practices.

"It is a simple reminder for people to swim at patrolled beaches, between the flags and at times when the lifesavers are on patrol," Mr Holden said.

"Avoid swimming at and around dawn and dusk, avoid river mouths, avoid dirty water and avoid swimming in schools of bait fish."

A man was bitten while snorkelling off Bargara last night.
A man was bitten while snorkelling off Bargara last night.

EARLIER: A man who went for a night time snorkel near Bargara last night was bitten by a shark.

Paramedics were called to Windemere and Rifle Range Road just after 7pm to treat one man aged in his 30s with minor lacerations to the foot.

A Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said the patient suffered additional chest injuries from the tussle with the shark.

The spokesman said the patient went home and attempted to transport themselves to hospital, though eventually changed their mind and called an ambulance.

The patient was transported to Bundaberg hospital in a stable condition with a critical care paramedic on board for transport.