REVEALED: Powerful Coast people who have been in court

From a Coast businesswoman falling from a six-figure salary to a jail cell to a teacher punching a student in the face, here are 11 Coast people in power who have gone through court in the past year.

'By hook or by crook': Young jailed over Kleenmaid scandal

Former Kleenmaid director Andrew Young was sentenced to nine years in jail after an exhaustive legal saga lasting eight years.

The Sunshine Coast businessman was the last of three directors from the whitegoods empire to be found guilty of fraud and insolvent trading after the company's inglorious $100 million collapse in 2009.

The 66-year-old's family and supporters packed out the gallery of the Brisbane District Court where Young - to the bitter end - pleaded his innocence to 17 charges of failing to prevent a company from incurring debt and two fraud charges.

In January after a lengthy trial, a jury found that Young had defrauded Westpac bank out of $13 million and accumulated debts of more than $750,000 while trading insolvent.

Commonwealth Prosecutor Lincoln Crowley said Young concealed the intertwined relationship of Kleenmaid's offshoot companies and how the company operated so that "Westpac never knew the full picture".

"The directors and this defendant took it upon themselves to keep the business afloat, by hook or by crook and ultimately it was by crook," Mr Crowley said.

Mr Crowley said in another "calculated and callous" case of fraud, Young sent an email marked "private and confidential" requesting that $330,000 be transferred into a trust account.

The court heard the request was made two days before the company went into voluntary administration and the money was slated for employee wages.

Young will spend at least five years behind bars before he is eligible for parole.

Andrew Young.
Andrew Young.

Businesswoman falls from six-figure salary to jail cell

A Sunshine Coast businesswoman was on a six-figure salary and about to start a business when she fell back into a crippling drug addiction, a court was told.

Cassandra Leigh Brownsdon, 31, was working as a national accounts manager for a communications company when her "drug-affected chaotic life" caught up with her and she was busted with more than $4800 cash and 29g of ice.

Brownsdon, of Beerwah, appeared via videolink in Brisbane Supreme Court where she pleaded guilty to drug possession and supplying $350 ice, which she code named "salt and vinegar" in text messages.

The court was told Brownsdon was on parole when she was caught riding a motorbike unlicensed and while affected by ice on October 19 last year.

She tried to escape police, but fell off the bike and was found with 10 clip-seal bags containing drugs and money in her possession, the court was told.

Brownsdon was sentenced to three years in jail, to be served alongside the jail term imposed last year.

She will be eligible for parole on November 16.

Cassandra Leigh Brownsdon.
Cassandra Leigh Brownsdon.

House of 'disgusting' horrors: Rapist made 200 recordings

A Sunshine Coast man secretly filmed young girls in a shower, raped two women while they slept and recorded his depraved sexual attacks on a hard drive, a court has been told.

Two young girls, a man and six women aged up to 48 were preyed on by Mark Dominic Bickel, whose wicked sexual offending lasted four years.

More than 203 recordings, including footage of three rapes, were found by a landlord organised in files with "disgusting and demeaning" labels, after Bickel, 51, was evicted from his Mountain Creek home in July last year.

The court was told that the footage was taken from covert cameras Bickel had hidden around the house in a pin hole camera hidden in a towel hook, a makeup mirror and in two watches.

He had also set up secret cameras in other people's houses.

Bickel, who was bearded with long grey hair, sat with his eyes downcast in the dock of Brisbane Supreme Court where he pleaded guilty to more than 40 offences he committed between 2014 and 2018.

Crown prosecutor Carly Whelan described how the two women he had raped, aged in their 20s, had visited Bickel to get tattoos and had fallen asleep in his loungeroom.

He also sexually assaulted other associates and tattoo clients when they slept at his house.

Bickel was convicted on three counts of rape, three sexual assault offences, three aggravated sexual assault offences, 22 charges of recording a person in breach of their privacy, two counts of making child exploitation material and five counts of tattooing a minor.

He also pleaded guilty to two counts of supplying dangerous drugs, possessing dangerous drugs and possessing utensils.

Bickel was sentenced to eight and a half years in jail.

He will be eligible for parole on May 14, 2022.

Motel owner's early jail release after sexual assault

A Coast businessman who carried out a "disgusting" sexual assault on a young mother has been released from jail after successfully appealing his sentence.

A two-hour unwanted sexual pursuit by Nambour motel owner Kerry Andersen ensured the 27-year-old woman's night at the Goondiwindi Show would be one she would never forget.

Anderson's advances on May 4 last year ended with his fingers on top of her underwear and his penis against her back.

He had pleaded guilty to sexual assault.

The court heard he had introduced himself to the woman, who he didn't know, about midnight while they were drinking at a Goondiwindi pub.

He approached her twice more trying to strike up conversation and she told him to "f---ing get away" when he grabbed her hard on the arm and wrapped his arm over her shoulder.

About 1.45am, the woman walked to stand beside her husband after Andersen stood in front of her and made her feel uncomfortable again.

Thirty seconds later she felt Andersen's hand between her legs and his fingers press into her genitalia.

He buried his head into her neck and whispered "where can we go, baby" into her ear as his erect penis rubbed against her back.

He was sentenced to 12 months in jail to be suspended after serving three months behind bars on October 9, last year.

He was granted bail on December 2, after serving about eight weeks, pending his appeal outcome.

After appealing his case, Anderson was sentenced to nine months' imprisonment suspended for 18 months and to serve no more actual time in custody.

Kerry Andersen.
Kerry Andersen.

Former teacher sexually assaults a mum at her home

A court has heard a former Coast teacher would be at risk of "bashings" in prison after he was found guilty of sexually assaulting a mother in her home.

James Douglas Gilbert-Wood was given a suspended sentence for touching the genitalia of a mother at her Alexandra Headland unit on November 16, 2017.

He had attended her home to buy a massage table after responding to her online advertisement.

A court heard Gilbert-Wood had ambitions to become a masseur for women's rugby teams after a workplace accident in 2012 led him away from full-time employment as a teacher.

When Gilbert-Wood arrived at the woman's apartment, she told him she was experiencing back pain and he offered to take a look at her back, saying it looked misaligned.

Crown prosecutor Will Slack told a court the woman felt pain as she was "rubbed heavily" before Gilbert-Wood slipped his hand underneath her underwear while she was lying on her back.

Mr Slack said the woman recalled, " (Gilbert-Wood) put his hand down the front, touching my vagina. It was only very brief. I pushed his hand away because I was shocked."

He was silent in court as a jury of six men and six women delivered a guilty verdict to one count of sexual assault.

Gilbert-Wood was sentenced to nine-months in jail, wholly suspended for two years.

James Douglas Gilbert-Wood.
James Douglas Gilbert-Wood.

Lawyer's road rage ramming

A lawyer rammed a car in a road rage incident.

Christopher Dancey, 49, was turning right onto King St, Buderim, when he got in a blue with another driver who had pulled onto the road from a carpark on December 18, 2018.

Police prosecutor Stu Lydford said Dancey followed the car down King St, tailgating it and honking his horn about 2.55pm.

The court heard he pulled up beside the other driver and they hurled abuse at each other at Mill Rd.

Sen-Sgt Lydford said Dancey then accelerated and "struck" the driver's side of the other car, causing minor damage to both cars.

The drivers pulled over and exchanged details while they waited for police to arrive.

At Maroochydore Magistrates Court, Dancey pleaded guilty to dangerously operating a vehicle.

Dancey was fined $500 and no conviction was recorded.

He was given the minimum licence disqualification period of six months.

Christopher Dancey.
Christopher Dancey.

Teacher's aide busted with drugs a second time

A teacher's aide was who was caught with $4700 worth of ice learnt the hard way that crime did not pay, after she was hauled before the Supreme Court.

Queensland police found Emma Frances Savage, 30, with 14g of ice and $1400 cash outside Morayfield Tavern at midnight on September 25 last year.

The Currimundi mother, who was on bail at the time, was also found with 27 strips of the prescription drug buprenorphine that were taped inside a headphone box.

Almost one year ago to the day, Savage was fined $500 in the Maroochydore Magistrates Court after she pleaded guilty to possessing 26 strips of buprenorphine.

Savage, who has since lost her job as an aide, appeared in Brisbane Supreme Court after pleading guilty to two charges of possessing drugs and four summary drug offences.

Savage was sentenced to two years in jail and given immediate parole.

Emma Frances Savage.
Emma Frances Savage.

Cleaning boss 'embarrassed' after touching teen

The boss of a Sunshine Coast cleaning company says he is "embarrassed" for isolating a teenager and touching her on two occasions.

VK Cleaning Services owner Kenneth James Dawson, 66, saw an opportunity when a young woman joined his large team of cleaners.

It was her first day when Dawson, from Buderim, checked on her as she carried out a job solo.

Police prosecutor Brendan Newman told Maroochydore Magistrates Court that Dawson drew the teenager in for a hug before squeezing her bottom with both hands.

She froze in disbelief.

The court heard Dawson isolated the young woman later in the day, following her to a storage room.

He squeezed her on the bottom again as he was walking behind her.

"After this occurred she stated that you went to the front of her, rubbed your hand up the front of the victim's pants from her vagina area to her hips," magistrate Haydn Stjernqvist repeated to Dawson in sentencing.

"She stated she began to shake and panic and exited the room."

The court heard the young woman now suffered depression, struggled to sleep and felt like she had to avoid an area of the Sunshine Coast.

Dawson downplayed his actions in his first interview with police, admitting only to hugging the woman.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault.

Dawson was sentenced to six months in jail, suspended for two years.

Kenneth James Dawson.
Kenneth James Dawson.

Security guard uses tracking device to stalk ex

The ex-girlfriend of a Sunshine Coast security guard realised she kept bumping into him because he had fixed a tracking device to her car.

Maroochydore Magistrates Court heard Caley Robert Richardson, 41, was hopeful his ex-girlfriend would take him back if she kept seeing him.

So he devised a plan to make that happen.

Police prosecutor Leonie Scott said Richardson attached an iPhone and power bank underneath the woman's car in late December last year.

It remained there until February 11.

"The victim became aware of the tracking device after becoming suspicious of the defendant turning up at obscure locations where she attended," she said.

Magistrate Chris Callaghan said the locations included Caloundra and the Kon-Tiki building at Maroochydore where she told Richardson to leave her alone.

"She looked under her car to discover the device and reported it to police," he said.

Richardson pleaded guilty to the domestic violence offence of unlawful stalking.

He was given a $1500 fine.

No conviction was recorded.

Teacher fined for punching student he didn't know

A court has heard Coast teacher Andrew James Best didn't know the name of the 14-year-old student he punched in the face.

The 39-year-old was fined for the assault on March 12 last year.

He had been on oval duty when he spotted the student leaving the grounds at lunchtime.

Best followed and used his phone to film the student who said "none ya" in response to being asked his name.

Crown prosecutor Stipe Drinovac told Maroochydore District Court the student attempted to knock the phone out of Best's hands, which were held close to his chest.

Best then punched the student in what was accepted by judge Suzanne Sheridan as self defence.

A second blow to the left side of the jaw in quick succession was considered to be excessive.

CCTV footage of the assault, next to the school bike racks, was played before the court and showed Best lunging at the student to deliver the second punch.

Best was fined $1500 to be paid within one month and no conviction was recorded.

Andrew James Best.
Andrew James Best.

Security guard breaks patron's collarbone at pub

A Coast security guard lost his job after he broke a patron's collarbone while escorting him from a pub, a court heard.

Philip Lee Stickler, 38, was working as a security guard at the Coolum Beach Hotel on May 11 last year when he evicted a 22-year-old patron.

Crown prosecutor Christopher Cook told the court Stickler saw a patron sitting on a table and asked him to get down.

The patron began arguing with Stickler and turned to finish his drink instead of leaving when requested.

The court heard while Stickler was escorting the patron out of the venue, he then pushed him very forcefully through the door into a wall after his friend tried to intervene.

"In essence, the defendant has behaved excessively, he was heavy-handed in ejecting the complainant from the venue," Mr Cook said.

The court heard when Stickler was being questioned by police whether a broken collarbone was justified, he replied "I don't think anyone should have been hurt".

"He did display some remorse in those conversations with police," Mr Cook said.

"Obviously he didn't deliberately intend to break that man's collarbone but that's what's happened."

Stickler pleaded guilty in Maroochydore District Court to assault occasioning bodily harm.

Stickler was ordered to complete 150 hours of community service within one year.

He was also ordered to pay $1000 in compensation to the victim.

No conviction was recorded.

Philip Lee Stickler.
Philip Lee Stickler.