A Sydney man has faced court accused of supplying a large amount of cocaine on the North Coast.
A Sydney man has faced court accused of supplying a large amount of cocaine on the North Coast. John Weekes

Pair accused of trafficking cocaine to North Coast

A MAN accused of helping to traffic cocaine from Sydney to Northern NSW remains in custody.

Jasper Nash, 33, has been accused of supplying a large commercial quantity of the drug.

Solicitor Sally McPherson made an application for bail on his behalf before Ballina Local Court last week.

Ms McPherson told the court while her client was charged as Stephanie Adoray Nash, he identified as a man, was undergoing gender reassignment and had asked to be referred to as Jasper.

The Homebush West resident faced the court via video link from Grafton Correctional Centre.

"He's a particularly vulnerable person while in custody," Ms McPherson said.

Ms McPherson said her client had just one prior conviction, an offence of drug possession.

She stressed her client required ongoing access to medical treatment.

Magistrate Karen Stafford asked whether this was not available in custody, but Ms McPherson was unable to confirm this.

"I acknowledge that the offence is quite serious," Ms McPherson said.

"It's my submission you can't really assess (the allegation) with any voracity.

"It's conceded if he is convicted he'll spend time in custody but I'm not conceding the prosecution case."

Police will allege Mr Nash met with another man in Wardell and the pair spent some time together.

They departed in opposite directions and the other man, 36-year-old Kurrajong man Scott Christopher Pritchard, was allegedly later stopped by Tweed Byron Police District officers and found with more than 12kg of cocaine in his vehicle.

The court heard the drugs were inside a fuel tank, and that Mr Nash had a similar tank in his car.

When police stopped Mr Nash, they found almost $2000 and two mobile phones in his car, the court heard.

Ms Stafford refused bail, noting that Mr Nash was under surveillance "with the co-accused for 15 minutes in an isolated location" and the "indicia of supply" found in his car.

She said there was "no information" to persuade her Mr Nash could not access ongoing treatment in custody.

She adjourned his matter to May 30.

Mr Pritchard, who also remains in custody and is facing the same charge, is due before Tweed Heads Local Court on June 19.