The Our Lady of Valme Hospital in Seville, Spain. Picture: Google Maps.Source:Supplied
The Our Lady of Valme Hospital in Seville, Spain. Picture: Google Maps.Source:Supplied

New mum reportedly cut in two by hospital lift

A NEW mum has died after being cut in half in a hospital lift tragedy.

The 26-year-old victim, named by some outlets as Rocio Cortes Nunez, is said to have been killed as she was transported on a stretcher between the second and third floors of the Our Lady of Valme Hospital in Seville, southern Spain.

Tragically, the mum-of-three had just given birth to a baby after a caesarean and was on her way to a maternity ward to recover and spend time with her child, reports The Sun.

The lift is understood to have started moving upwards before the stretcher was fully removed from the elevator trapping the woman's head.

There is thought to have been a mechanical failure with the automatic lift door.

Local reports said the unnamed patient had literally been divided into two in the horrific accident, which happened about 2.30pm local time Sunday.

It was reported that firefighters took two hours to reach her mauled body after her head was trapped between the lift frame and roof as it started moving upwards and her feet left dangling from the lift.

Police and firefighters rushed to the scene but duty medics could do nothing to save her life.

Speaking after the tragedy, brother-in-law David Gaspar said: "It's incredible. We still can't believe what's happened. Something has to happen. This cannot go unpunished."

The Health Minister of the Spanish region of Andalusia, Marina Alvarez, has described the event as "a rapid, unusual and tragic accident."

According to Spanish newspaper El Pais, she Ms Alvarez said the lift had "had passed all the controls and complied with the regulations" during its last review on 12 August.

An investigation, co-ordinated by an investigating magistrate, is now underway.

The new born baby has been transferred to the Children's Hospital of Virgen del Rocío, reports ABC.

This story was first published in The Sun and is republished with permission.