Finch Hatton man now stable after horror Eungella crash

UPDATE, Thursday: A 27-year-old Finch Hatton man badly injured in a Eungella Range crash last Sunday was in a serious but stable condition this morning after being transferred to Cairns Base Hospital.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service flew the man from Mackay Base Hospital on Tuesday night about 8pm, a spokeswoman confirmed.

A Cairns Hospital spokeswoman said the man's condition had improved from critical status, but was still serious.

Queensland Police said in a statement after the Mackay-Eungella Road four-wheel drive crash on Sunday morning that it had engaged its Forensic Crash Unit to investigate the single car rollover,

A Queensland Ambulance Service spokeswoman believed the man's car left the road and reportedly plunged "a couple of hundred metres" down an embankment.

"It does look like the man was alone for about an hour after the (5.30am) crash," the ambulance spokeswoman said.

She said the man was initially in a stable condition when paramedics arrived at the scene about 6.30am. 

Police said in a statement the man managed to escape the wrecked car and was eventually spotted by a member of the public.

Police have been investigating the crash and appealed for public assistance.

Call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.


UPDATE, 4.47pm: A 27-year-old Finch Hatton man injured in a crash an Eungella Range this morning is now in a critical condition at Mackay Base Hospital, a spokeswoman said.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for Queensland Police said it's believed the single car crash occurred about 5.30am, when the man's car left the road and rolled. 

It was not known at this stage what factors contributed to the crash.

The Queensland Police Forensic Crash Unit will be investigating.


INITIAL: A SINGLE car crash at Eungella Range this morning resulted in a 27-year-old man being taken to Mackay Base Hospital with various injuries.

Queensland Ambulance Service was called to the crash on Mackay Eungella Road at 6.30am, according to a spokeswoman.

The man was taken to hospital in a stable condition with back and pelvis injuries, as well as a minor chest injury.

It was noted by the spokeswoman that the range was rather foggy upon paramedics' arrival, but it is not known if this contributed to the crash.