Malcolm Gooda was attacked on Friday, February 27. Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin
Malcolm Gooda was attacked on Friday, February 27. Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin Allan Reinikka

Attackers followed victim, king hit him and stomped on him

MALCOLM Gooda has been passionate about indigenous affairs all his life.

He was the chairman of Rockhampton's NAIDOC committee in 2010 and has spent his working years helping indigenous people find employment.

But "a brutal attack by four indigenous men" last Friday has shattered Malcolm, leaving him heartbroken and questioning his ties to a community he has battled so hard for.

Last Friday night Malcolm said he and his two sons were at his nephew's 40th birthday party at a Rockhampton hotel.

Malcolm, 54, said a couple of the men who later attacked him were at the party and kept approaching him throughout the night.

"I don't know why they kept approaching me but I just kept telling them to go away," he said.

"When my two sons and I were ready to leave the party we had a lift waiting in the car park and these guys followed us out and started mouthing off... I didn't want to be involved in anything, that's my last recollection.

"The next thing I know I'm being pushed into the ambulance on the trolley. They king hit me, which rendered me unconscious, and I was told I was pushed, kicked, punched and stomped while I was on the ground."

Malcolm said he believed he would have been severely injured or even killed if his two sons didn't step in.

"My two sons saved my life," he said. "It was an unprovoked attack; I dare say if it wasn't me it was going to be someone else.

"I feel intimidated and vulnerable because this behaviour is just disgusting. I am ashamed that we can't get dressed up and go to a nice place (without this happening)."

For Malcolm, the pain of the attack is more than just physical bruising to his upper body. He is heartbroken that it was fellow indigenous men who attacked him.

"I've worked my whole life to break these barriers down and to have this done to me from inside my community, it has shattered me," he said.

"I'm just so heartbroken by what's happened and I don't feel safe leaving the house anymore.

"If the actions of these men is a reflection of indigenous culture, then I no longer consider myself an indigenous person."

Malcolm said his two sons were charged for disturbing the peace that night, which he would appeal.