Kids will love loud stories at city libraries in September
IPSWICH Libraries will be noisier than ever throughout September during regular story time sessions.
Ipswich City Council Tourism and Libraries Committee Chairperson Councillor David Pahlke said the theme for the September story time sessions were What's That Noise? and would focus on stories about noisy characters, creatures and machines.
Each story time session will feature a variety of stories, rhymes and songs to encourage children to develop important early literacy skills.
Cr Pahlke said Ipswich Libraries' story time sessions for children aged under six-years-old were extremely popular with local families.
"Kids love stories and get so much out of being exposed to songs, rhymes and books from an early age," Cr Pahlke said.
"Reading to children is great for their vocabulary development, imagination and creativity and helps them to develop a love for reading that can become a lifelong habit.
"Story time is always great fun at the local library but there are many other long term benefits for children and families.
"For children they are introduced to new words, rhymes, language patterns and social interactions that help build their social and emotional skills as well as language and literacy skills.
"For parents, story time at the library is a great activity to share with the whole family and a great way to meet and socialise with other parents."
Cr Pahlke said the story time sessions were offered every month at all of the city's three libraries as well as Orion Springfield Central and they were all free.
The September sessions include:
- Ipswich Central Library, 40 South St, Ipswich - from 10.30am to 11.15am on September 3;
- Redbank Plaza Library , Redbank Plaza shopping centre - Startdust story time from 6.30pm to 7pm on September 9;
- Redbank Plaza Library , Redbank Plaza shopping centre - from 10.30am to 11.15am on September 9;
- Ipswich Central Library, 40 South St, Ipswich - from 10.30am to 11.15am on September 10;
- Redbank Plains Library, 1 Moreton Avenue, Redbank Plains - from 10.30am to 11.15am on September 16;
- Ipswich Central Library, 40 South St, Ipswich - from 10.30am to 11.15am on September 17;
- Orion Springfield Centre - from 10.30am to 11.15am on September 23 and;
- Ipswich Central Library, 40 South St, Ipswich - from 10.30am to 11.15am on September 24;
Cr Pahlke said each month there was a new theme for the story time sessions.
Special storytelling sessions are also available for playgroups and other groups upon request.
Inquiries to Ipswich Libraries on 3810 6815.