Kate hasn’t spoken to Meghan since split
Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, has not spoken to Meghan Markle since she and Prince Harry announced they were quitting as senior royals.
The pair has fuelled rumours that they are not close since Meghan married Prince Harry, only being seen out together a couple of times.
"Kate and Meghan have not spoken since (the royal exit) happened," a source told Us Weekly.
However, the source goes on to say, Meghan is not worried by the lack of support now that she has left the UK.
"Meghan feels free. She has never been happier. She's happy to be out of London," the source went on to say.
EARTHQUAKE ROCKS HARRY, MEGHAN'S NEW HOME
The news came after an earthquake rocked Canada's Vancouver Island where Megan and Prince Harry have been staying at the $A21 million home of a mystery friend.
The quake hit off the west coast of the island and registered 4.5 on the Richter scale. Officials said there were no reports of damage.
The tremor was reportedly felt by people across Metro Vancouver and came after a 6.3 magnitude quake struck the same area on Christmas Day.
The couple have been living there after they announced they would split their time between the UK and North America, where they are expected to live part-time.
Meghan, Prince Harry and baby Archie are living at the scenic, wooded property of Mille Fleurs on Saanitch Inlet on the island's southern tip. The Prince flew back to the island this week following time in the UK after the Megxit royal summit to finalise the details of his future life after stepping back from royal duties.
Their new neighbours have reported seeing them hiking and wandering through the local farmers' market.
And locals in North Saanich say they will do their utmost to ensure Meghan and Prince Harry can have their privacy.
Resident Sue Starkey said it felt special when she heard baby Archie had experienced his first snow in the neighbourhood, which she described as a "really friendly" community.
"What I've been really proud of is how our neighbourhood has been so respectful and giving them space," she said.
"And, you know, not getting over the top and trying to peek in.
"I'm really happy they're here and I hope they can find some peace."
But Ian Murray, executive director of the Society of Editors, which campaigns for press freedom, said the couple could not control media scrutiny.
"If Harry and Meghan had said: 'we want to withdraw completely from public life and occasionally appear for good causes', I think they would have achieved their aim but they seem to want to have their cake and eat it," he said.
And royal biographer Penny Junor said Prince Harry is "living in cloud cuckoo land" if he thought press relations would magically improve by him stepping away from representing his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II and moving to Canada.
Ms Junor told AFP the situation could become worse now they are no longer in the royal fold, where pooled media access to engagements is facilitated through a long-agreed system.
Without that stream of content, news and picture desks might look elsewhere.
NEW TWIST IN SUSSEX ROYAL TRADEMARK FEUD
An Aussie doctor's reported trademark feud with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle has taken a twist.
A Dr Benjamin Worcester, from Victoria, was named on an opposition notice to the Duke and Duchess' trade name.
The notice opened the floodgates to a wave of claims against Prince Harry and Meghan's bid to trademark the name Sussex Royal, delaying their business launch.
Since then three other applications have been filed as others try to cash in on the couple's name.
But, a man who identified himself as Dr Benjamin Worcester, who is originally from the UK but lives in Melbourne's southeastern suburbs, said he has "no idea" how his name ended up on an application to block the couple's Sussex Royal brand.
Approached by the Sunday Herald Sun he denied lodging the opposition notice against the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
He believes someone else put his name on the application.
"I have no idea how my name got involved in this - it wasn't me,'' the man said.
"That's all I have to say on this. I don't want to get my family involved."
Lee Curtis, a trademark lawyer at HGF, said the original notice had prompted more people to challenge the royals, which is as simple as filling in a form for free.
"It has started off a cascade, which is not unusual in high profile cases," he told News Corp Australia.
Dr Worcester's allegedly forged application did not detail the grounds for why he believed he had a right to the Sussex Royal name.
If Dr Worcester were to have made the application, he would be risking up to $20,000 in legal fees if he took on the royals and loses, according to Mr Curtis.
"If he fights it out he will have to get lawyers, and high end lawyers would cost between 6000 and 7000 pounds. If he loses there would be costs of 2000 pounds," he said.
The couple could make billions from their Sussex Royal brand, according to marketing experts.
The name is already under dispute within the royal family, with one of the Queen's aides warning the couple against using the description for fear they could be profiting from their regal links.
Prince Harry and Meghan first filed the application on June 21 last year, a signal that their exit from the royal family had been planned for months.
The claim attributed to Dr Worcester came on Tuesday after details were announced about how Prince Harry and Meghan were quitting the royal family.
The couple stunned the world when they announced this month they planned to step back from full-time royal duties.
The Queen rejected their plans of a half-in, half-out royal life, and now the couple and baby Archie have moved to Canada.
The couple has asked to trademark Sussex Royal on books, clothing, newspapers, greeting cards and public awareness campaigns.
View this post on Instagram
Today, on International Day of Education, we highlight the importance of access to education for all. The Duchess of Sussex has focused on this both prior to becoming a member of the Royal Family and now as patron of The Association of Commonwealth Universities (@The_ACU_Official). • Working closely with CAMA, both The Duke and Duchess recognise the benefit both personally and to society at large when a young girl has access to education. On their recent tour to Southern Africa, The Duke supported the initiatives of @Camfed on the ground in Malawi 🇲🇼. • Over the years, The Duchess has worked in developing communities, such as in Rwanda 🇷🇼 and India 🇮🇳 , to find the hindrances to girls’ ability to go to school and furthermore to stay in school. These can include lack of access to clean water, stigma surrounding MHM, cultural taboo, and many more reasons.... • As President and Vice President of The @Queens_Commonwealth_Trust, The Duke and Duchess thank all those who are working to give access to education for all. Image © World Vision / PA / @mynamahila / SussexRoyal
The trademark challenge comes as Meghan posted about the importance of education on the Sussex Royal Instagram page.
"Today, on International Day of Education, we highlight the importance of access to education for all. The Duchess of Sussex has focused on this both prior to becoming a member of the Royal Family and now as patron of The Association of Commonwealth Universities (@The_ACU_Official)," the post said. "Working closely with CAMA, both The Duke and Duchess recognise the benefit both personally and to society at large when a young girl has access to education. On their recent tour to Southern Africa, The Duke supported the initiatives of @Camfed on the ground in Malawi."
View this post on Instagram
Earlier this month, The Duchess of Sussex popped in to see the amazing people at Mayhew to hear about the incredible progress made throughout the festive period. The Duchess of Sussex, having been proud patron of Mayhew since January 2019 and long understanding the connection between animal and community welfare, applauds the people at Mayhew for the vital work that they do every day. From cats and dogs who have found new homes to animal welfare cases handled in the community - @TheMayhew believes in the power of togetherness and the special bond between humans and animals. Image © SussexRoyal
Meghan highlighted that she had been campaigning for education before she became a royal.
"Over the years, the Duchess has worked in developing communities, such as in Rwanda and India, to find the hindrances to girls' ability to go to school and furthermore to stay in school. These can include lack of access to clean water, stigma surrounding MHM, cultural taboo, and many more reasons."
The post comes as it remains unclear how they will continue their charitable roles that were linked to the royal family.