Hoarder crushed by her own rubbish
AN ELDERLY woman has been rescued from under the weight of her hoarded possessions more than 15 hours after they collapsed.
Emergency services rushed to the Canley Vale home, in Sydney's southwest, just before 10am yesterday to reports the woman was trapped.
The woman, believed to be in her 60s, spent more than 14 hours underneath the rubbish after initially becoming trapped around 10pm on Sunday night.
Fire and Rescue NSW managed to drag the woman from the rubble around noon yesterday.
It took firefighters two hours to wade through the home's belongings and get to the woman, eventually forming a human chain to reach her.
"Crews worked to clear the materials and uncovered the woman's head and torso," a Fire and Rescue spokesman said.
"They used hydraulic equipment to remove the items before paramedics assessed her for crush injuries and freed her."
She was taken to hospital with compression injuries to one of her legs.
Pictures taken at the home show piles of rubbish scattered around the home, including magazines and newspapers from the late 1990s. One old Woman's Day at the home had articles about Princess Diana's death in August 1997.
Old-school McDonald's boxes were also seen scattered around the yard lying next to Mars Bars that expired 20 years ago.
Other pictures showed bags of rubbish piled metres high, filled with clothes and rubbish, explaining why it took firefighters more than an hour to rescue her.
The woman is the second hoarder in a week to make the news in Sydney.
Last week, a Bondi woman was fined $5100 after a magistrate found she and her sister had wilfully obstructed police during a court-approved council-led clean-up of their property.
Liana and Elena Bobolas were arrested outside their home in July 2015 after breaching a court order not to go within 10 metres of council workers cleaning up their Bondi property and of machinery such as trucks.
The sisters, who represented themselves, challenged the charges on numerous grounds, including by claiming police were trespassing and used unreasonable force and violence.
But in Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court last week, magistrate Jacqueline Trad found proven three obstruction offences against Liana Bobolas and one against Elena Bobolas.
Video footage taken by a council contractor "speaks for itself" and was clearly relevant, as it captured the alleged obstruction as well as events the sisters said justified their actions, she said.
Rather than showing police brutality, officers were seen to be "gentle, calm and patient", while the sisters were combative and argumentative. The women were not arrested until after they were given several warnings, she said.
Elena Bobolas, who was accompanied by her mother, told the magistrate her sister was not present in court as she was unwell.
Ms Trad said she had seen the sister as she came into the complex on Tuesday but accepted she may have become unwell.
She asked Elena Bobolas if she had any sentence submissions but was told: "I didn't do anything. I am not guilty." "There is no recognition of wrongdoing by Ms Bobolas and clearly no contrition or remorse," the magistrate said.
But the court needed to exercise some compassion in the case as there was obviously an "element of this which is very concerning".
"There must be other factors at play," the magistrate said "There are other issues in relation to the family and choices they have made." She convicted Elena Bobolas of the one offence and fined her $2000. The magistrate adjourned her sister's sentencing until Wednesday, saying she would proceed in her absence if Liana Bobolas didn't turn up.