Multiple fire crews fought a large blaze on Enterprise St, Norville, yesterday.
Multiple fire crews fought a large blaze on Enterprise St, Norville, yesterday. Mike Knott

Factory fire in Norville

TWO businesses were destroyed and dozens of people were evacuated after a blaze broke out in an automotive business on Enterprise St.

The ferocious fire left the one-storey brick building, housing the Bundaberg LPG Conversion Centre and JAX Quickfit Tyres, completely gutted.

The roof of the building collapsed during the blaze and six vehicles were destroyed.

Internal explosions could also be heard throughout the fiery drama.

It took about 20 firefighters with six fire trucks about two hours to deal with the blaze, and firefighters remained well into the afternoon to ensure the fire did not reignite.

Bundaberg police Inspector Kev Guteridge said an excavator was called in to demolish a wall to give firefighters better access to the flames.

"After the fire was contained, heavy equipment was brought in to demolish the remainder of the wall," he said.

Bundaberg police declared the area an emergency situation not long after the fire broke out at the LPG conversion centre.

Police evacuated nearby Enterprise St businesses, including swimmers at Norville Pool.

The street was also closed between Fitzgerald St and Commercial Ave.

The emergency declaration was revoked and roads reopened about 4.20pm.

Insp Guteridge said the fire was not suspicious.

"The fire was a result of fuel which was siphoned from a fuel tank that ignited," he said.

Insp Guteridge said the fire then spread quickly because the nature of the businesses meant there was a lot of fuel available.

Coral Cove woman Suzanne Dyer witnessed the outbreak of the factory blaze, after she had gone into the LPG business to have a fan belt replaced.

Ms Dyer said she had turned up to her appointment about an hour early, meaning she was inside the building when the blaze started.

"The truck was about three-quarters of the way on the lift and something just sparked," she said.

"And then it just went up."

Ms Dyer said after she made sure her nine-year-old son was safe, she started to help move cars away from the building before they were all evacuated up the street.

"There were lots of explosions," she said.

Thick black smoke billowed from the fire and was blown towards the Gracehaven Retirement Community.

But Queensland Ambulance Service regional operations supervisor Daniel Statham said ambulance crews had visited the nursing home and found no problems with smoke.

Mr Statham said no one was injured during the emergency, but ambulance officers treated a 24-year-old man for an asthma attack at the scene.

A firefighter was also treated after being overwhelmed by the heat.

He returned to battle the blaze after he was treated.