Darren Leslie Kimball was sentenced in Bundaberg Magistrates Court after he assaulted his childhood friend and locked her in her own home. Photo: Social Media
Darren Leslie Kimball was sentenced in Bundaberg Magistrates Court after he assaulted his childhood friend and locked her in her own home. Photo: Social Media

EXPLOSIVE: Man's shocking treatment of childhood friend

A COURT has heard the shocking details of how a man used "explosive violence" to assault his childhood friend before locking her in her own home.

Darren Leslie Kimball, 32, pleaded guilty in Bundaberg Magistrates Court to eight offences including two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and one count of deprivation of liberty.

The court heard on May 29, Kimball approached the victim while she was sweeping the floor and punched her in the face, before slapping her six times with an open palm.

The victim fell backwards, felt immediate pain and could taste blood in her mouth before Kimball called her a retard.

The victim laid on the floor dizzy and disoriented after she hit her head on the wall as Kimball slapped her again twice.

He then walked out before walking back in about 10 minutes later.

Kimball grabbed a fistful of her hair and pulled her up causing her pain.

While she was standing up he dragged her into another room and pulled a knife out of the drawer.

Kimball held the knife at the victim asking her if she wanted to be stabbed.

When she said no he put the knife down and let her go.

The victim asked Kimball to leave her alone 10 minutes later.

He then grabbed her by the throat and put his other hand over her mouth and nose.

Kimball then squeezed her throat making the victim feel light headed and she struggled to breath.

When the victim was laying on the couch Kimball grabbed his phone and hers and left the her home with her keys locking her in - she wasn't able to get out or call anyone for help.

The court heard the following day when Kimball was asleep on the victim's couch, she ran to friend's house for help before going to police.

The police went with the victim to her home to collect some of her belongings with Kimball calling the victim a liar.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Grant Klaassen told the court Kimball had limited criminal history and that the victim's injuries did not require medical treatment.

Sgt Klaassen submitted while jail time was in range, Kimball would benefit from a lengthy period of probation.

Kimball's lawyer Thomas Bray told the court his client and the victim had a long-term friendship since school.

He said at the time Kimball and the victim were having difficulties with their friendship and that the victim still wanted some form of relationship with his client.

Mr Bray said his client had issues with anxiety and was seeking help for underlying issues.

Mr Bray told the court Kimball accepted his behaviour was "quite explosive" and indicated early on that he wanted to plead guilty.

Magistrate Andrew Moloney took into account Kimball's plea of guilty and described the allegations as "quite serious".

Mr Moloney said Kimball's case was one where he "seriously considered" imprisonment.

"This explosive violence towards your childhood friend has come out of nowhere," he said.

"If the injuries she'd suffered were more severe or needed any medical intervention you would be going to jail today."

Kimball was ordered to complete two years of probation and was ordered to pay $149 restitution for the phone.

He was also fined $350 for some drug offences.

Convictions were recorded.