Murder victim Nathan Wiseman.
Murder victim Nathan Wiseman. Contributed

Emotions run high as witnesses testify at murder hearing

EMOTIONS were running high in court today as witnesses were called to testify in a Coast stabbing murder case.

It's been almost two years since Nathan Wiseman, 21, was stabbed and killed in Tewantin, allegedly at the hands of Robert John Nott, 40, who has been charged with murder.

Nott appeared handcuffed in the dock of Maroochydore Magistrates Court and is yet to enter a plea.

A couple - thought to be the victim's grandparents - were the only observers, with the woman clutching a framed picture of Mr Wiseman and wiping away tears throughout the proceedings.


Nathan Wiseman was 21 when he was stabbed to death at Tewantin in December 2015.
Nathan Wiseman was 21 when he was stabbed to death at Tewantin in December 2015. Contributed

Two paramedics, two police officers, a doctor and an associate of Nott were called on at the committal hearing, which determined there was enough evidence for the case to proceed to trial in the Supreme Court.

Police prosecutor Melissa Campbell told the court Mr Wiseman's body was found about 1am on December 27 by a member of the public with stab wounds to his neck and chest.

Ambulance officers were called, but were unable to revive him.

Witnesses put Nott with Mr Wiseman an hour before his death.

About 7.40am that morning, paramedics were called to take Nott to hospital as he was suffering abdominal pain and eye injuries.

Police seized the blood-stained jumper Nott was wearing which the court heard was inconsistent with his injuries.

He was discharged into police custody where he was interviewed and took part in a crime scene re-enactment.

The first witness, Leanne Berghofer, said Nott slept next to her that night by the river bank, but she did not remember meeting Mr Wiseman.

Ms Berghofer had been drinking "heavily" during the day and said while Nott was there when she woke up, she never saw him get in the ambulance.

Paramedic Daniel Moore was tasked to treat Nott and said a woman on scene who was in a "rambling state" said 'we'll bash him' and 'I had to clean him up' several times.

Arresting officer Detective Senior Sergeant Jonathan Colquhoun told the court the autopsy report he read credited a wound through Mr Wiseman's ribcage as the fatal blow.

He also said a Leatherman knife was found in Nott's belongings at the hospital.

Nott will remain in custody with the Director of Public Prosecutions to list the trial for a date to be decided.

The victim's family refused to comment outside of court.