Kangaroo carcasses were left strewn across the paddock following the shooting.
Kangaroo carcasses were left strewn across the paddock following the shooting. Valerie Horton

Cop under fire

A POLICE officer could face disciplinary action following an investigation into the mass shooting of more than 20 kangaroos at Booral this month.

Yesterday a Queensland police spokeswoman confirmed a serving officer was being spoken to in relation to the incident which has caused outrage in the close-knit community.

The Chronicle understands the man, who cannot be named, is stationed at Gympie.

The investigation stems from events two weekends ago where residents of Wheeley Rd claimed they were subjected to spotlights being shone through their windows and the sound of loud gun fire for two days.

On the Sunday morning, horrified horse riders found more than 20 kangaroo carcasses strewn across the paddocks.

From the time police were first called out to the acreage backing onto Wheeley Rd, residents have not wished to comment on record until they were certain the incident was being thoroughly investigated.

Now, disturbing witness accounts have prompted the Chronicle to request detailed information from the Queensland Police Service regarding the officer's behaviour at the scene, towards both residents and his Hervey Bay colleagues.

The Department of Environment and Resource Management has launched an investigation into whether the officer had the appropriate permits to shoot the animals.

Both the land owner and officer have said they had a long term agreement which allowed the man to be on the property and use firearms there.

"Investigators have spoken to a number of people including a serving police officer as part of their inquiries," the spokeswoman said

"Comprehensive investigations are continuing. No charges have been laid at this time.

"This matter is also being considered as part of the QPS disciplinary process."

The officer was reportedly in the company of two teenagers throughout the weekend.

One joey saved during the shooting remains with a wildlife carer in Childers.