A health worker takes a blood sample for a quick COVID-19 test.
A health worker takes a blood sample for a quick COVID-19 test.

More details emerge about nurse's trip to Blackwater while infectious

UPDATE 4.20PM: KEPPEL MP Brittany Lauga has confirmed that Rockhampton's COVID-19 infected nurse took a road trip to Blackwater before she tested positive to the virus. 

She told contact tracers about the trip during the initial interview after she first tested positive.

The nurse told them she drove to Blackwater to "see a sunset".

"She told the contact tracers that she did not get out of the car or meet anyone there so it was not necessary to alert anyone in Blackwater," Ms Lauga said 

She said the miner's partner was in Rockhampton hospital and has been tested again and health authorities were now awaiting those results.

"An Incident Management team has been stood up to respond," she said. 

"Additional Health, QPS, QAS and CHRC support and resources have been provided.

"Contact tracing and interviews are being conducted by the Public Health Unit."

Ms Lauga said a fever clinic was open at the Blackwater Hospital today and would reopen at Blackwater Rodeo Ground from 8am tomorrow with increased capacity.

"Blackwater residents can book into the fever clinic through 4920 5800. Please note there is up to a 35-minute wait time to make a booking due to the large volume of calls," she said.

In other positive news, Day 12 testing of North Rockhampton Nursing Centre commenced today with 39 negative tests returned and 74 tests still awaiting results.

INITIAL: QUEENSLAND Health authorities say the Rockhampton nurse who tested positive for COVID-19 travelled to Blackwater just days before her results were returned.

According to The Australian reports, the nurse, who worked at North Rockhampton Nursing Centre, is the suspected source of infection for a 30-year-old miner who died yesterday.

The Blackwater man tested positive for COVID-19 during his autopsy yesterday afternoon.

He had many underlying health conditions and the coroner is working to establish whether he died of COVID-19 or another medical condition.

The Australian reports that the Rockhampton nurse travelled to Blackwater four days before she tested positive for the virus.

The publication claims the nurse will face further questioning from Queensland Health authorities today, and it is not known whether she had any contact with the miner.

News Queensland understands the nurse broke health orders when she drove to Blackwater for recreation before she was positively tested for the virus.

The 167km drive from Rockhampton to Blackwater is outside allowable travel distances and her trip was not for an essential purpose.

The nurse gave the information about her drive during an earlier interview with health authorities who had been undertaking contact tracing.

It's not believed the nurse and miner knew each other, but authorities are still looking into potential connections.

The man, who has been sick for around three weeks, had not worked since late last year because of a work injury, but his partner had been going to work while experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.

The Morning Bulletin is working to verify the information with Queensland Health.