A young man was caught driving while his licence was disqualified by a court order.
A young man was caught driving while his licence was disqualified by a court order.

CAUGHT: Young driver cops two-year licence ban

A young man will need to grab a lift until March 2023 after he was hit with another court-ordered driving ban.

Ashley Clinton Miller had lost his licence for drink driving in September last year until March this year.

But he was caught behind the wheel on Mackay Eungella Rd at Pleystowe about 6.25pm on December 5.

Mackay Magistrates Court heard the 25 year old told police he knew his licence was disqualified.

More stories:
Coroner to tackle seatbelt safety in fatal bus crash inquest

YOU BEAUTY: Mirani mates land $73K Keno win

Mackay police find $13k, rifle and taser during vehicle stop

Defence solicitor Sean Gibbs, of Fisher Dore Lawyers, said since his client had lost his licence his grandmother had been running him to and from work.

The court heard he worked as a farm hand at Eton.

Miller had been working a 6-2 roster but on the day he was stopped his boss had asked him to work an extra day and his grandmother had been unable to take him, so he took the risk.

Mr Gibbs said Miller had no priors for disqualified driving and a good work history, pushing for a fine and the minimum licence ban.

Subscriber benefits:

How to activate your free Courier-Mail subscription

Your dose of Harry Bruce cartoons

Five ways to get more from your digital subscription

“You took the punt, you knew what was going to happen,” Magistrate Damien Dwyer said.

Miller pleaded guilty to disqualified driving, was fined $1250 and his licence was banned for the minimum mandatory two years.

A conviction was recorded.