‘Can’t continue like this’: Scramble to track SA arrivals
PASSENGERS thinking they had beaten new Adelaide border restrictions when arriving in Cairns on Monday could be made to undergo a 14-day lockdown despite being told a 24-hour quarantine was adequate.
Although a midair announcement warning South Australian passengers en route to Cairns that Adelaide would be flagged as a COVID-19 hotspot passengers didn't receive the latest advice publicly announced 30 minutes after touchdown.
In response to a COVID outbreak at an Adelaide CBD hotel Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk declared from 11.59pm on Monday Queensland borders would be shut to all Adelaide city arrivals.
However a half-hour window between a landing Adelaide flight and a Queensland border decision has left passengers receiving conflicting information about health obligations.
Queensland chief health officer Jeannette Young said from Monday anyone arriving in the Sunshine State from Adelaide would need to get tested and quarantine for 14-days in the accommodation of their choice.
But Jetstar passenger Jess Underwood received different advice from officials on Monday morning.
"I rang the health line and the health line said we do have to get tested but the AFP said it was up to us," she said.
Ms Underwood had been told to self-isolate at her previously booked Port Douglas hotel for 24-hours until results of the COVID test came back.
A Queensland Health spokeswoman in a statement to the Cairns Post said the authority was asking anyone who had been to Adelaide in the past week to get tested for COVID and lockdown in their home or hotel for 14-days.
"These people also have the option of returning to Adelaide if they do not want to complete their self-quarantine in their current accommodation," she said.
"We at looking into contacting all people who have arrived in Queensland in the last seven days who had been in Adelaide to provide them with this new advice."
"The COVID-19 situation can change rapidly and we work quickly to communicate any updates so that we can continue to protect Queenslanders and save lives."
Leichhardt MP Warren Entsch said his mother-in-law from Adelaide has been forced to cancel a surprise trip north for his wife's birthday.
"She is shattered, she is so looking forward to coming up," he said.
"It's another cancellation, you multiply that by the other disappointments, all of these things they all add up.
"We can't continue to operate like this, it's just rubbish.
"Deal with the hot spots but you don't shut down the economy."
South Australian arrival Ms Underwood late Monday had not heard from health officials and was "not sure" what to do in regard to the latest health advice.
"I would have to discuss it with (my partner) and go from there," Ms Underwood said.
Do you agree with the decision to close the border to Adelaide? Have your say in the comments below.
Originally published as 'Can't continue like this': Scramble to track Adelaide arrivals