Wayne Bennett has put the ball in Brisbane's court around a possible return to the Broncos after revealing he was open to offers from 2022.

Bennett was in a jovial mood during his pre-game press conference in West End on Friday morning ahead of South Sydney's Magic Round clash against Cronulla at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday.

The seven-time premiership-winner will return to Brisbane next year to live following the expiry of his Souths contract and has refused to rule out a shock third coming at the Broncos.

New Broncos CEO Dave Donaghy left the door open for Bennett when he took on Brisbane's top job earlier this month and momentum is gathering.

Bennett, 71, was the architect of Brisbane's six premierships and still holds the Broncos close to his heart, despite being sacked in 2018 following a messy falling out with club hierarchy.

The Broncos this week signed Rabbitohs halfback Adam Reynolds to a monster deal from next year and Bennett said he was yet to hear from anyone at Red Hill.

"Adam and myself are going out this afternoon to see if we can find an apartment," Bennett joked.

"After that I'm not sure what I'm doing. I'm coming back to Brisbane but I've made no decisions about what my future holds. All I know is I'm coming back.

"At this point in time I don't really have any offers on the table.

"It's not about what I'd like to do, it's what other people want to do. I can't make decisions about my future, someone else has to make them.

"They've got to go to the negotiating table with me. I've heard from nobody so I'll just get on with life."

Bennett said he appreciated Donaghy, who replaced Paul White, not ruling out a possible return to the Broncos.

 

Dave Donaghy meets with players in at Red Hill during training. Picture: Liam Kidston
Dave Donaghy meets with players in at Red Hill during training. Picture: Liam Kidston

 

"I appreciate what he said, he's been very generous to me," he said.

"There's been no suggestion from anybody there that I'm coming back except for media speculation and talk by whoever.

"It hasn't come from me."

Reynolds confided in Bennett before inking a three-year deal with the Broncos after being squeezed out of Souths by salary cap pressure.

Bennett said he was complementary of the Broncos, but stopped short of guaranteeing Reynolds that he would join him at the club next year.

"Obviously favourable, the Broncos have been a great club and Brisbane is a great city," Bennett said.

"He's got a young family and he will enjoy his time here. The Broncos have got a wonderful player coming here. He is a really special bloke.

"South Sydney will be sorry to lose him, we all are. That's the way it worked out. It wasn't his or the club's fault. It's the situation we find ourselves in with the salary cap.

 

Wayne Bennett speaks with Adam Reynolds during their first training session together in 2018. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins
Wayne Bennett speaks with Adam Reynolds during their first training session together in 2018. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

 

"He has made a good choice and is happy with it. He will make a difference.

"That (reuniting) was never a part of his decision.

"At some stage we had that conversation but I said 'there's no guarantees where I'm going, you've got to make the decision for you and your family'.

"He's done that and done it of his own free will."

Bennett confirmed he would not participate in the planned outdoor post-game press conference at Magic Round and laughed at suggestions he would be fined by the NRL.

"They can't make me go and sit there," he said.

"Unless they physically take me there they won't get me. It ain't going to happen.

"I'm not a fan because I know some of the situations that could happen and I don't want to be exposed to that.

 

 

"I'm prepared to do the press conference, I'm just not prepared to go to that place.

"If they want to fine me, that's their prerogative. My prerogative is to not go if I don't want to.

"I will be available for a press conference (in the usual room)."

The NRL will increase penalties and sanctions for contact with head from this weekend and Bennett backed the decision to crack down on dangerous play.

"I don't discuss that because I don't each my players to hit anyone in the head," he said.

"I don't need to talk about it or mention it to them because it's not the way I want them to play.

"Does it happen sometimes? Yes. Sometimes someone makes a bad decision. The consequences are going to be there and I'm happy about that.

"It's not what I coach or believe in. They know my standards."

Originally published as Bennett: Ball is in Broncos' court for Brisbane return