Baden-Clay: I am not guilty your Honour
MURDER accused Gerard Baden-Clay yesterday spoke his first public words since his arrest to protest his innocence before a packed courtroom.
Baden-Clay, on the final day of a six-day hearing, was committed for trial in the Brisbane Supreme Court accused of murdering his wife Allison on April 19 last year and dumping her body at Kholo Creek, near Ipswich.
Asked to stand and offered the opportunity to say anything in answer to the charges, Baden-Clay said: "I am not guilty, your honour."
Baden-Clay has maintained he went to bed in their Brookfield home while his wife was watching The Footy Show and found her missing when he woke the next morning on April 20.
Her body was found 10 days later on a muddy creek bank 14km away.
Prosecutor Dan Boyle, in a case summary when the hearing began last Monday, said the Crown intended to prove love and money were the key motives for Baden-Clay killing his wife.
He said the father of three was involved in a long-running affair with a fellow real estate agent and had promised to leave his wife by July 1, once he could afford to divorce her.
Mr Boyle said Baden-Clay had significant financial problems, large debts but stood to benefit almost $1 million in life insurance and superannuation if his wife died.
Defence barrister Peter Davis had told the court his client "vehemently denied" the charges but consented to being committed to trial.
Chief magistrate Brendan Butler formally sent him to the Brisbane Supreme Court for trial on a date to be fixed.
Mr Butler said he had independently assessed the evidence and found a jury could deliver a guilty verdict based on the Crown case at its highest.
"I'm of the opinion the evidence is sufficient to put the defendant on trial for the offences charged," he said.
Mr Butler warned spectators not to draw conclusions from the committal hearing because only 40 witnesses, out of 280, had given verbal evidence.
He said of those 40 witnesses, the questioning had been selective and limited to contentious issues.
The large courtroom, sometimes used for inquiries because of its size, was packed almost daily during the hearing.
As well as family, friends and media, the court case drew attention from dozens of curious members of the public.
Baden-Clay's sister Olivia Walton said, outside court, she would "support him throughout this process".
"One day the truth will be revealed," she said.
"I still believe my brother is an innocent man."
Baden-Clay's solicitor Darren Mahoney said his client was "eager to have this matter tried".
"We're of the view the evidence against Mr Baden-Clay has been significantly weakened by cross-examination during the court process," he said.
Baden-Clay will now return to Arthur Gorrie Correctional Centre to await his trial.
His lawyers did not respond to questions about whether he would make another bail application.
Baden-Clay has already made two unsuccessful bail applications.